MAPP members have access to post on the forum and must be logged in to post. Questions? Please contact info@mappinc.com.

electric peek load demand

metromapp

electric peek load demand

Post by metromapp » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:55 pm

Is anyone monitoring their peak electrical load in order to reduce the 30 minute demand rate charge. What software / equipment are you using?

scotttitzer

Re: electric peek load demand

Post by scotttitzer » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:14 am

Lindsey/Ken-
We have a capacitor bank which does a great job on our Power Factor correction. The local utility says we have one of the best power factors in their customer base.
We can monitor, visually, the amp load on the two main power feeds coming into our building. We have a real time readout on the main switches. What it has shown us is start up on Sunday night is the strongest amp draw and we have used this info to "stagger" the heat start ups so all of the presses are not heating up from ambient at the same time. We also can wait to start the 60hp compressor after the heats are up.
Hope this helps.
Scott

m2p.mwalter

Post by m2p.mwalter » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:21 pm

Scott -- thanks for sharing what you are doing to manage your load. We will look into this on our end.

While we don't currently have a scientific method to measure our peak load usage, we've been told that our electric utility (ComEd) typically calculates peak load factors and demand rate charges during high usage days (hot summer days). To give us a heads-up of a possible measurement day, I've setup my home account to have ComEd send texts whenever they expect demand to be higher than normal. The purpose of the text is to get homeowners to reduce their electric consumption (turn down the A/C), and in turn, they provide a token refund to those that do. Whenever I receive a text, I send a heads-up to our production team so that they reduce consumption as much as possible during those hours. It's not a sophisticated process, but it seems to work, as we have been able to keep our electric bills in check.

CHUCKAWALA

Post by CHUCKAWALA » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:39 pm

Working with El Paso Electric, we also have a capacitor bank set up at our factory which greatly improved our electrical cost and helped us balance our consumption and demand. PMT also has several energy-saving initiatives that were implemented such as automatic shut down on some of our injection molding machines while sitting idle, staggering our machine start ups, as well as a variable variable speed air compressor. We also use energy efficient lighting throughout the warehouse. Last, but not least, many of our molding machines are all electric.