MAPP members have access to post on the forum and must be logged in to post. Questions? Please contact info@mappinc.com.

Outside Sales Rep

ddammen@reoplastics.com

Outside Sales Rep

Post by ddammen@reoplastics.com » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:30 pm

Working with manufacturer's or outside sales reps, do your agreements typically cap commission paid by customer or over a certain time period? We have an old agreement that has no limit on how much we have to pay even though the rep has had no involvement on the account in over three years.

What is "normal" or standard in the marketplace of rep agreements?

trobinson@mappinc.com

Re: Outside Sales Rep

Post by trobinson@mappinc.com » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:56 pm

Hello Daniel,

I have two ways to help you!

1. Reach out to Alan Rothenbuecher of Benesch at har@beneschlaw.com or Joe Keglewitsch of Ice Miller at josef.keglewitsch@icemiller.com for a few hours of free legal advice. If the contract agreement with no cap on commission is causing an issue, the legal teams at our legal partners will be able to help you.

2. MAPP has a Sales Management Report from 2017 that goes into detail many sales management benchmarks and best practices. I will send it over for you to peruse and hopefully answer your question.

NPE@EmpirePrecision.com

Post by NPE@EmpirePrecision.com » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:52 am

There are a lot of approaches for a sales rep. My advise is that you pay commission on the value added portion of sales, that the commission goes down over time, that the commission is reduced if the customer demands a price reduction and finally, to get to your question, I would strongly suggest that there would be no limitations to what a sales representative can earn. If the above suggestions are taken the more that they sell, the better your company will do.

One more thing, I would suggest that you pay some commission on being awarded a job. At the end of the day sales pay programs should be in alignment with the goals of the company.

I hope that this helps,

Neal Elli
Empire Precision

MatrixTool

Post by MatrixTool » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:14 pm

trobinson@mappinc.com wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:56 pm
Hello Daniel,

I have two ways to help you!

1. Reach out to Alan Rothenbuecher of Benesch at har@beneschlaw.com or Joe Keglewitsch of Ice Miller at josef.keglewitsch@icemiller.com for a few hours of free legal advice. If the contract agreement with no cap on commission is causing an issue, the legal teams at our legal partners will be able to help you.

2. MAPP has a Sales Management Report from 2017 that goes into detail many sales management benchmarks and best practices. I will send it over for you to peruse and hopefully answer your question.
Tony, would you mind forwarding a copy of the Sales Management Report to me as well? Tom Moyak - tomm@matrixtoolinc.com

Thank you.

twood@esplastics.com

Post by twood@esplastics.com » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:00 pm

Dan,
I would be happy to talk to you about legacy rep business tied to your customer base.
Please reach out to me at twood@esplastics.com with your contact information and we can set up a time to talk.
Tom Wood
E-S Plastic Products