MAPP members have access to post on the forum and must be logged in to post. Questions? Please contact info@mappinc.com.

SDS

Wescon2810

SDS

Post by Wescon2810 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:17 am

We have a new Management team here and have to build our SDS (formally MSDS) from scratch. How are you all maintaining your SDS? (Websites, person w/ a binder, etc.)? Thank you in advance!

ccwenk27

Re: SDS

Post by ccwenk27 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:44 am

We are currently using a shared Excel sheet with links to SDS PDF's as a Table Of Contents. We also have the the TOC and all SDS's printed and in a binder for each of our buildings.

When a new material is brought in, the TOC is updated and reprinted and SDS is added to the binder.

We have looked at a number of services, but our material turnover and number of chemicals doesn't seem to pose enough burden to warrant the several thousand dollar cost annually.

Wescon2810

Post by Wescon2810 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:41 am

That sounds similar to what we're thinking as well. Thank you for the response!

Troyonix29

Post by Troyonix29 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:44 am

I am sorry for the slow reply to this post but I have two ideas. First, I will tell you that the multitude of companies have moved to electronic systems and disposed of paper-based SDS tracking.

One option you may examine is using a company that offers SDS management services. The advantage is that they build compliance into their systems so to ensure a company always has the most up-to-date information. Basically these companies maintain massive SDS databases and allow their customers to "point and click" on the inventory that then becomes the master listing for the company. I believe one of the companies other MAPP members have used was called Sitehawk. https://www.sitehawk.com

Most recently, MAPP did a plant tour at Baxter Enterprises where they actually created an in-house intranet page with all of the SDS information sheets. I am not sure, but I believe they were also discussing the development of an APP that would be easy to access for all.

Hope this helps!

Troy